Skip to main content

The Giving Pledge

I was scrounging around the interwebs (when am I not?) earlier this week, and happened across a fairly surreal article about Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. These guys have created a philanthropic organization called The Giving Pledge, in which they are asking the nation's billionaires to pledge at least half of their net wealth to charity. Pretty cool right?
DollarJar_blog
There are a multitude of billionaires on this list. Gates, Buffett, George Lucas, David Rockerfeller, Paul Allen (of course we'd expect the co-founder of Microsoft to be on board), Michael Bloomberg. Basically, you're going to find the top 40 from the Forbes 100 list. What does this mean for charitable organizations across the globe? The goal is to reach $600 billion. This is currently twice the total amount given each year.

Buffett explains in a televised interview that his donations come from claim checks that he bought 40 years ago that have exponentially increased in value, and has pledged to give away 99% of his wealth.
"The reaction of my family and me to our extraordinary good fortune is not guilt, but rather gratitude. Were  we to use more than 1% of my claim checks on ourselves, neither our happiness nor our well-being would be enhanced. In contrast, that remaining 99% can have a huge effect on the health and welfare of others"
Being part of the non-profit sector, credit unions understand the need for charitable giving and philanthropic efforts. Although we may not be able to donate as much as Buffett or Gates, we're still committed to building our community and helping those less fortunate.

To which charities, if any, do you donate? Which charities do you see most worthwhile? Let's get our creative juices flowing. Write the most compelling comment, and I'll pick one charity and personally make a monetary donation! And, if you're feeling generous, stop by March of Dimes' website and participate in our "Blue Jeans for Babies" event. Buy a shirt, save a baby!


The credit union is federally insured by the NCUA. Additional insurance of up to $250,000 on your savings accounts is provided by Excess Share Insurance Corporation, a licensed insurance company.
Equal Housing Lender Equal Housing Opportunity Lender
· Copyright © 2018 Avadian CU All rights reserved.